More than 68 million customers from over 120 different countries arrive daily at McDonald’s, one of the largest chains of hamburger joints in the world. The fast food restaurant originated in 1940 and maintains headquarters in Oak Brook, IL. A mixed collection of franchises, affiliates, and corporate-owned outlets yield annual revenue near $27 billion. The company also offers employment to roughly 1.9 million workers. Primarily selling hamburgers, chicken, French fries, desserts, soft drinks, and breakfast items, the Golden Arches expanded to also offer fish, wraps, salads, and milkshakes. Locations provide patrons with opportunities to learn about the nutritional values of menu items and how to swap for healthier choices or to meet dietary restrictions.
- Burger – A single hamburger contains 250 calories, eight grams of fat, 12 grams of protein, and 490mg of sodium. By adding a slice of American cheese, customers should expect 50 more calories, four more grams of fat, and 190 more mg of sodium.
- Chicken Sandwiches – Chicken sandwiches come in a wide assortment at McDonalds ranging from crispy to grilled and with and without cheese. The classic McChicken consists of 370 calories, 17 grams of fat, and 650mg of sodium.
- A healthier selection, the Filet-O-Fish, a fish patty with cheese and tartar sauce, boasts 390 calories, 19 grams of fat, and 590mg of sodium.
- Alternatives – For calorie-conscious individuals, a Premium Southwest Salad without chicken only provides 160 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 190mg of sodium. By adding the southwest dressing, guests put 280 more calories on the salad.
- Fries – A Small order contains 230 calories and 130mg of sodium, while larges contain 510 calories and 290mg of sodium.
- A small chocolate shake contains 560 calories and 16 grams of fat.
- Happy Meals – Children enjoy Happy Meals with Chicken McNuggets, Cuties, fries, and a low-fat milk jug at 440 calories, 20 grams of fat, and 550mg of sodium.
- Diets – Vegans may enjoy side salads with add-ons of tortilla stripes, diced apples, lettuce, lime, grape tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette. Breakfast items of bagels, oatmeal (without meal), coffees, apple juice, and orange juice also prove possible avenues. Vegetarians may request customizations without meat; however, McDonald’s does not certify anything vegan or vegetarian. Gluten-intolerant customers may safely order parfaits, McFlurries, strawberry banana smoothies, lettuce-wrapped cheeseburgers, premium salads, and sweet teas.