Apple dumplings are a mind-blowing, delicious, and pastry meal which was said to have originated from Pennsylvania. Back in the days, this dumpling is often taken as breakfast, but nowadays, they are usually considered as dessert. This recipe will wet your taste buds as well as maintain your health levels.
- Preparation time 30 minutes
- Cook time 40 minutes
- Total time 1hour 10 minutes
- Stimulate weight loss
- balance blood sugar levels
- Improves cardiovascular health
- The apple in the dumplings enhances the brain function
- Enhances the eyesight
- Also, it relieves muscle tension
For the crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Ten tablespoon butter, unsalted, cold and cut into cubes
- Eight tablespoons shortening cold and cut into cubes
- Six tablespoons ice water or more as required.
For brown sugar syrup
- 1 cup of water
- Two tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- Four medium apples peeled. Cut half in and cored
- Two tablespoons butter unsalted, cut into eight pieces
- Three tablespoons brown sugar packed
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- At first, make the crust. Add the flour, salt, butter, shortening to your mixer’s bowl and mix. Furthermore, add little drops of water per time, and continue adding until the dough starts to form
- Transfer the mixture onto your work surface and divide it into two pieces. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic after which you refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Add all the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Simmer by turning down the heat and let the syrup reduce to about half. This process should take about 10 minutes
- While waiting, prepare the apples. Peel the apples cut them in half, and remove the core.
- Add three tablespoons of brown sugar and one teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl, then mix
- Cut two tablespoons of butter into eight small pieces and roll each piece in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Make sure that each butter piece is placed at the center of each apple
- Then, preheat your oven to 425F degrees
- Roll out one of the parts of the crust and cut it out into four pieces. note that each piece has to be big enough to folder over the apple completely
- Writhe the coat over the apples. Use a little water to wet your finger and run it along the edges of the crust. Then, remove any excess dough
- Scoop a large amount of the brown syrup into the bottom of a baking dish, place the apple dumplings in the baking dish and pour the remaining syrup over the apples
- Bake until the apple dumplings become golden brown. This should take about 40 minutes
- Make sure the apple dumplings are allowed to cool for about 5 minutes before serving
Freezing and Reheating
Your completely baked apple dumplings can be frozen by wrapping each dumpling in a plastic wrap. After the cover, place several of them into a plastic freezer container.
When you are ready to consume them, put in a microwave and defrost for 5 minutes, then set your microwave to 75% power and reheat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Interestingly, apple dumplings can be stored, covered at room temperature for up to 2 days; however, refrigerating the dumplings can prolong their freshness. To refrigerate, keep in an airtight container and refrigerate for 4 to 5 days.