Zucchini is a variety of summer squash that is shaped like cucumber and has a smooth, dark green skin.
Interestingly, if you are looking to get something green, tasty, fast, easy-to-make and healthy for your dinner, then, Zucchini salad is just perfect for you. It will not only fill your hunger but make you healthier. This no-cook salad recipe is perfect for losing a few pounds.
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cook time: No cook time
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Zucchini is highly rich in many nutrients
Zucchini contains a variety of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds. Cooked zucchini is particularly high in vitamin A, however raw zucchini contains marginally less.
- It is a powerful antioxidant
Zucchini contains a few antioxidants that may give different health benefits. The most elevated levels are found in the fruit’s skin.
- Zucchini enhances healthy digestion
Zucchini is rich in water and fiber, two compounds which can enhance sound and healthy digestion by decreasing your chances of constipation and symptoms of different gut disorders.
- Zucchini helps to reduce blood sugar levels
Zucchini’s fiber may increase insulin sensitivity and stabilize blood sugar levels, potentially reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Small wedge of Parmesan cheese
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and crushed red pepper in small bowl to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Using vegetable peeler or V-slicer and working from top to bottom of each zucchini, slice zucchini into ribbons (about 1/16 inch thick). Place ribbons in large bowl. Add basil and nuts, then dressing; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using vegetable peeler, shave strips from Parmesan wedge over salad.
Serving Per Recipe: 4
Serving size: 1 (200g)
Amount Per Serving
Your zucchini salad can be kept in the refrigerator but must be well wrapped. On the other hand, it could be blanched and kept in the freezer.